Directions: Watch one video per disorder and use the provided websites to explore Genetic Disorders and complete the research sheet.
Find the following information for the project:
- Description of the disorder
- What is the average life span of a person with the disorder?
- Who gets the disorder? How many people have or are born with the disorder?
- How is the disorder Inherited? Is it dominant? recessive? sex-linked? autosomal (onchromosomes 1-22)?
- Is a person with the disorder only homozygous dominant or recessive? Can the parents be carriers (heterozygous)?
- Which chromosome has the gene for the disorder? Does the gene have a name or number?
- What symptoms does a person have that leads a doctor to test for the disorder?
- What happens internally to the body of a person with the disorder?
- How is the person tested to diagnose the disorder?
- What treatments is the person given to make him/her comfortable or improve his/her health?
- Any other interesting facts......Who first discovered? Is there a benefit to the disorder? Does it have a "nickname"?
Hemophilia Your Genes, Your Health
Hemophilia: Kid's Health
Living with Cystic Fibrosis video
Cystic Fibrosis Learn Genetics
Your Genes, Your Health Cystic Fibrosis
Kids Health Cystic Fibrosis
Sickle Cell Disease
Sickle Cell Video on Safe Share
Sickle Cell Disease Learn Genetics
Your Genes, Your Health Sickle Cell
Kids Health: Sickle Cell Disease
Living with Sickle Cell video
Down Sydrome Video
Down Syndrome Organization
Down Syndrome Video
Down Syndrome Learn Genetics
Color blindness on Kids Health